Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Your Checklist Is Not a Global Priority

"The world does not revolve around me." Honestly, sometimes I forget this (and I don't think I am the only culprit). We all have to-do lists. Projects, lunch dates, appointments, practices, classes, meetings, and a myriad of other tasks fill mine--and I'm sure yours is no less hefty.

Having a checklist to take care of is stressful. It's daunting, uninspiring, and just when you think you've come to the end of it--crap!--you've just remembered something else you need to do. Yet, do we ever really stop to consider what comprises other people's checklists?

It is so easy to get caught up trying to make your crisis, your deadline, someone else's crisis, someone else's deadline, but we do it every day:
"[Insert Roommate's Name], can you do me a huge favor? I totally forgot to put my laundry in the dryer and I'm late for class."
"Mom! I need a prescription filled before Tuesday! Can you get it for me?"
"Dad! I'm totally lost driving in the middle of nowhere. Can you pretty-please Google directions for me? I'll be raped and killed otherwise! Did I mention it's really dark and scary?"

Sometimes, the things we ask of others are ridiculous (I wish I could say I made-up the aforementioned scenarios). So why are we so surprised when people are less than enthusiastic to bend over backwards for us? Try to remember that the world does not revolve around you. Your crisis may be a priority for you, but before you hurl it at the nearest passerby, remember that she has her own crisis too. Odds are, as one in almost seven billion people on this planet, your checklist is probably very insignificant in terms of global priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment